The hunting gear market is growing by leaps and bounds due to the use of information in scope design, and the new coatings used that considerably increase its performance. The squirrel hunting scope is one of them, and it is an optical instrument used for hunting squirrels at a long distance from the hunter. Its operating principle is based on the refractive properties of the lens, and it can vary according to its type.
There are various types of scope for squirrel hunting that makes the selection challenging. After in-depth research and analysis, we have figure out the top 5 best scope for 22lr squirrel hunting that will make your hunting more enjoyable.
Do You Need A Scope For Squirrel Hunting?
If you want to hunt a squirrel easily, a scope is a great option for hunting squirrel. Some hunters use a pistol to shoot a squirrel, which is challenging. In that case, a scope helps to understand the movement of a squirrel and hunt them with an accurate shot. Also, the scope for squirrel hunting allows shooting small targets that bring fun to hunt.
Table of Content:
Here is the table of content for your quick overview:
- Do You Need A Scope For Squirrel Hunting?
- 5 Best Scope For 22lr Squirrel Hunting Reviews 2020
- What To Consider Before Buying A Scope For 22lr Squirrel Hunting?
If you want to see the specialty of our selected scopes, you can go through the comparison chart below:
Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm Fine Duplex
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire, Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescope - V-Plex Reticle
Bushnell Red Dot Sight
TASCO MAG39X32D Rimfire Series 3-9x 32mm 30/30 Reticle .22 Riflescope
Simmons 511039 3 - 9 x 32mm .22 Mag(R) Matte Black Riflescope
5 Best Scope For 22lr Squirrel Hunting Reviews 2020
We have compiled a ranking with the 5 best scope for 22lr squirrel hunting available on the market. Each of them stands out for some aspect in particular that will best suit your needs.
1. Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm Fine Duplex
Leupold FX-I Rimfire comes with a 28mm lens that helps to set the target easily. Its length is 9.2 inches and weighs 7.5 oz, so you can easily carry the scope in your travel bag. It has 1.4 inches diameter eyepiece and objective that allows you to mount it with any rifles, even low ring scopes. A hunter can view 25.5 feet at 100 yards with its linear view capacity.
The Leupold rimfire scope has good eye relief levels, 4.5 inches low mode, and high mode that provides a comfortable viewing experience. Its body is made with 6061-T6 high-grade aero aluminum that provides 100% safety from water, fog, and shock. It has a scratch-resistant double-layered lens that is designed with the military standard. Also, it has a large pupil that helps to exit light throughout the scope.
It has 1/4 MOA precision that helps to set up the scope with fingers without any tools. You can view a 4X larger target with the scope magnification that can be changer according to short and long rage purposes. You will enjoy a clear and full of contrast viewing that makes the shooting more convenient. It has an illuminated reticle that provides a clear view in low light weather.
Leupold FX-I Rimfire Features:
- The scope has a 28mm scratch-resistant lens that provides long-lasting performance.
- It has 4.5 inches high and low eye relief levels that ensure a comfortable view.
- It is constructed with high-grade aluminum that protects the scope from water, fog, and shock.
- The ¼ MOA precision provides a 4X zoom view with better magnification.
- Due to its 1.4 diameter, you can mount the scope in all rifles without tools.
2. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire
Vortex optics crossfire ii has 2X to 7X adjustable zooming capacity that allows seeing distances 17 ft at 100 yards. Also, you can shoot over 100 yards with long-range rifles further object become down. It has 32mm anti-reflective lens that provides clear and excellent viewing experience in good and low light situations. It is made with aircraft-grade shockproof aluminum that ensures durability and strength.
The scope has a V-plex reticle that helps set medium and long-range shots. It has 4 inches high and low eye relief that provides a comfortable, long-lasting focus. Also, it has capped turrets that can be adjusted without tools using fingers. The MOA is changeable during sighting at zero levels, and the adjustment level is 1/4 MOA per click.
It has an elevation and windage knob that allows adjusting the scope with fingers, helps to shoot at different distances and wind conditions. Its dual usage: tactical and hunting, allows us to do a variety of tasks. Also, it has a second focal plane that helps to maintain appearance. Its weight is only 1.5 pounds, so you can easily carry on a small bag.
Vortex Optics Crossfire Features:
- It comes with 32mm anti-reflective lens that provides 2X to 7X zoom up to 100 yards.
- The V-plex reticle allows setting the scope for medium to long range hunting.
- It has an elevation knob that helps to set the distance for a clear view.
- The windage knob allows setting the target according to wind condition.
- It is made with aircraft aluminum, o ring sealed and nitrogen purged to protect from water and shock.
3. Bushnell Red Dot Sight
Bushnell Red Dot Sight has a red dot sharp reticle that can be adjusted according to the light of the environment. Its unlimited eye relief allows the opening of both eyes for increasing awareness of hunters. The lens of the scope is coated with high contrast amber bright that helps to hunt in the trees. It weighs 3.7 oz, and the body is O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged that protects from fog, shock, and water. For these points, it can be counted as the best scope for 22lr squirrel hunting.
For its multi-coated eyepiece, you can hunt at night or in low light areas without any problems so that it can be considered as the best scope for ar 15 under $100. After 10 rounds, it can reverse zero quickly. It is equipped with an elevation knob, which helps to set the distance and windage knob that allows setting the target based on the wind condition.
It has a long-lasting battery that runs for several weeks without a problem. You can easily control brightness with 11 brightness setting knob. It is easy to mount in all rifles due to its compact size. To protect the lens, it has a rubberized cover. After hunting, you should cover the lens for long-lasting usage.
Bushnell Red Features:
- It has multi-coated lenses that help to hunt in the trees, which is a lifesaver.
- Unlimited eye relief provides to open both eyes while shooting to more accuracy.
- Red dot reticle provides a sharp and crisp view with 11 types of brightness settings.
- It has a nitrogen purged, O-ring sealed tube that protects the scope from water, shock, and fogs.
- Its weight is 3.7 pounds and easy to mount in all rifles, shotguns, and more.
4. TASCO MAG39X32D Rimfire Series 3-9x 32mm 30/30 Reticle .22 Riflescope
TASCO MAG39X32D comes with a 32mm lens that has 3X to 9X zoom magnification to get target accuracy. The lens is coated with multi-layer magenta that protects the lens from scratch to reduce reflection. It is suitable for .22 caliber rifles with the best accuracy performance. Also, it is designed with matte finishing that provides 100% fog proof and waterproof construction.
The Tasco rimfire scope has a 30/30 reticle that allows setting the brightness according to the light of the environment. It has focus type eyeball that provides 17.7 feet view at 100 yards area so you can target a squirrel easily. Also, it has a 50/45.7 parallax setting that helps to point the target accurately. It has 3 inches high and low eye relief level that provides a comfortable view.
The total weight of the scope is 11.3 ounces that makes it compact so you can easily carry anywhere. It has a windage and elevation knob, which helps to adjust the scope according to distance and wind conditions.
TASCO MAG39X32D Rimfire Features:
- The scope comes with a 32mm multi-layered lens that provides 3-9X zoom magnification.
- It has a matte-finished tube that protects the scope from water, fog, and shock.
- Its eyeball allows targeting 17.7 ft away at 100 yards with a clear view.
- The windage and elevation knob allows adjusting the scope based on distance and wind condition.
- Its 30/30 reticle allows setting the brightness with a parallax setting.
5. Simmons 511039 3 – 9 x 32mm .22 Mag(R) Matte Black Riflescope
Simmons 511039 comes with a 32mm hydro shield lens that has 3 to 9X zoom magnification with maintaining a good view. Its elevation and windage knob that can be adjusted with a fingertip at 1/4 MOA level. The tube is made SuperGrip rubber surfaces helps to carry the scope in any weather condition. It has 3.5 inches eye relief level that allows viewing the magnification range with comfort.
It has a 60/60 reticle adjustment range that allows setting the brightness. It has a matte black finish that provides fog proof, waterproof, and shockproof protection. Its diameter is only 1 inch that makes it suitable for all rifles. Also, it has a 31.4 ft field view at 100 yards so you can hunt squirrels and animals from long distances with a clear view.
It has aluminum and steel-based tip-off rings and grooved zoom rings that protect eyeglasses. You can reduce the inconsistent view by setting up the parallax settings. After all, for these features, it can be considered as the best Simmons scope.
Simmons 511039 Features:
- The Simmons scope comes with a 32mm hydro shield lens that has 3-9X eye magnification to get a clear view.
- It weighs 10 pounds and is designed with SUperGrip rubber that ensures durability and longevity.
- It has a 31.4 ft linear field view at 100 yards that allow shooting from long distance.
- The 3.5 inches eye relief level provides a comfortable view of the low light condition.
- Its parallax can be adjusted from 50 yards to unlimited distance with 60/60 MOA.
What To Consider Before Buying A Scope For 22lr Squirrel Hunting?
Picking a scope for 22lr squirrel hunting is not a simple job because a good scope must have some features. In this guide, we have presented some factors that should be considered before buying one. The factors are:
Some light that passes through the lens of the scopes is reflected. This reflection reduces the amount of light that passes through the lenses and makes the image appear dark. To reduce reflection and ensure clear and sharp images. The coated lenses reduce most of the reflection and increase light transmission.
Weatherproof And Waterproof Scopes
If you use your scopes on board a boat or in the field on a rainy day, consider using waterproof or weatherproof scopes. Waterproof or waterproof scopes use rubber rings to seal tubes and prevent moisture from entering. They also prevent dust or contaminating particles from entering.
Hunters are looking for scopes that cover all their needs in different types of practice or for most of them so that they do not need to invest in multiple scopes and can save money. For this reason, many opt for versatile scopes with a wide range of magnifications and with a bell diameter that covers both the stalking modalities.
At the top of the list of aspects to consider before choosing the scope for hunting squirrel that suits you is its ability to provide enlargements. Typically the value is indicated by the number on the left of the X sign and expresses how many times the framed object is enlarged. The number on the right of the X is expressed in millimeters. It is relating to the diameter and the aperture of the objective. To make prolonged visualizations with a particularly large field of view, it is better to use a scope at low magnifications.
It indicates the distance between each lens and your eyes, while the entire field of view is visible. Large or long eye relief is more comfortable since the distance between the eyes and the lenses is greater. If you wear glasses, pay attention to this value. It is recommended that when you wear eyeglasses, you collect the rubbers from your scopes before using them. If you wear glasses, make sure your scope’s eye relief is greater than or equal to 3 inches.
Another key element to consider when evaluating the scope for squirrel hunting of this type is brightness. It provides a high and sharp observation quality regardless of the light conditions. It goes without saying that the bigger the target, the greater the light it can absorb, and the clarity of the vision provided.
A final detail to evaluate is the weight. Suppose your idea of use is that of prolonged observation during the day, with continuous movements. A scope combines strength and lightness is absolutely to be preferred to purchase it.
These are the factors that will help you to choose the right scope for hunting squirrel and meet your demands.
Note: Above, we have guided you to buy a scope for 22lr squirrel hunting. If you want to discover more about the scope for hunting, you can go through how to use a scope for long range shooting?
Why Should You Buy A Scope For 22lr Squirrel Hunting?
For hunting a squirrel within a short time and many advantages, you should own a scope. They are:
- The scope is designed to facilitate and improve shooting accuracy that helps to hunt squirrel. Also, it ensures that the hunter reaches his target with the least amount of time and attempts possible.
- They are easy to mount in all sized guns and pistols. So, a user can use it in many rifles and pistols to hunt a squirrel and other small objects.
- The scopes have high-quality zoom lenses that help to improve your skill and precision. Also, it offers a wide field of vision and can be used in different activities and will make you a better marksman.
- They are lightweight and easy to carry in a small bag. So, they can be an excellent alternative for hikers, lovers of long walks, and those who bring this equipment with them during their holidays.
For these advantages, you should buy a scope for 22lr squirrel hunting. So, get the best one from the above-reviewed scopes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below, we have answered some frequently asked questions for eliminating your confusion about the scope for hunting squirrel.
Can you kill a squirrel with a slingshot?
Without a good hunting skill, it is difficult to hunt a squirrel with a slingshot. So, you have to shoot on squirrel’s head to kill a squirrel instantly.
Is it good to hunt squirrels in the rain?
If the rain is light, you can hunt squirrels because they come out from their dens to take food. In heavy rain, it will not be good to go for hunting. At that time, animals are hard to see.
Can I shoot squirrels in my garden?
Yes. You can shoot grey squirrels in your garden because it is legal to kill them and maximum do it by making a trap or shooting. But, you should do it under manner. Otherwise, you will be penalized.
Is a 12 gauge good for squirrel hunting?
Yes. For adult hunters, 12 gauge is enough for hunting squirrels. But if you are under 18, you will require the 20 gauge for shooting squirrels perfectly.
Do squirrels come out in rain?
Squirrels come out in light rain. In heavy rain, they come out sometime because rain is not abnormal to squirrels. But they stay inside their dens maximum time.
Scopes are one of those instruments that never go out of style. They can be the perfect companions for hunting squirrels. But all scopes are not suitable for hunting 22lr squirrel. So, we have reviewed the top 5 best scope for 22lr squirrel hunting after long time research on the various scopes in the market. In the meantime, I would like to recommend Bushnell Red Dot Sight that is light and compact, making them very comfortable to carry.
It has 3 MOA reticle that allows adjusting brightness for a clear view. Also, it is constructed with a nitrogen purged and O-ring sealed tube that provides waterproof and fog proof protection. It can be used at night and low light weather with unlimited eye life to see the target with ease.