A sentry safe is an essential piece of equipment in a home if you have expensive items to keep safe. Manufacturers make sure that the safes are super rigid and sturdy enough to stand against any penetrating impact. The rigidity of the lock defines the integrity of the safe, but what if you lose the key! What if you forget the combination if your safe has a combination lock mechanism?
The sentry safes come with fireproof and the maximum security measures that are verified by ETL. Despite the highly secure boxes, forgetting the combination or losing the key to the lock is a common thing. The question that comes forward is how to open a sentry safe without a key or knowing the combination to the lock? In this article, I’ll get you through some impressive hacks that you can use for opening a sentry safe without using a key.
Are All Sentry Safe Keys the Same?
The answer is, in a nutshell, No, not all the Sentry safe have the same unlocking keys except some rare cases. All the keys to the sentry safes have a unique code engraved or imprinted, which won’t be the same as another key. If you’re extremely lucky to find two keys to sentry safes with the same code number on them, they are the same. You can open the other safe with your key in that case, but that’s extremely rare.
Some keys will have a rounded tip, and some will have pointy ends to keep the unmatchable key differences. Furthermore, if you go for a higher-end safe, they will even come with a keypad locking mechanism that you can customize. So, there is no way you will find a duplicate of the code number you put into that keypad lock.
How to Open a Sentry Safe Without a Key or Combination
If you forget the combination of the lock of your Sentry safe or lose the keys to it, you can use some hacks to open in. Here are how to open a sentry safe without a key using tools that you already have in your house:
Open Sentry Safe With a Paperclip:
Paper clips are by far the most popular lock-picking tool that works great in its job. Here is how you can use a paper click to pick your Sentry safe’s lock if you’ve lost the real keys:
- Take a paperclip and bend the bigger leg over, making a 90-degree angle on the clip; use your finger or plier to do this.
- Bend the other leg of the clip as long as you need to hold the clip like a key and bend the first leg a little in the tip.
- Take another paper clip and bend the bigger leg in a 45-degree angle where it will work like a handle to twist the lock.
- Now, place the second clip into the lock hole; you can use a minus screwdriver to do it as well. Whichever you’re using, please place it in and create pressure in clockwise, the way you open locks.
- Take the first clip and get the pointy end into the upper portion of the hole, where the teeth of the lock are located.
- Keep on twisting clockwise and giggle with the pointy end of the first clip into your lock’s teeth.
- You have to do it until you hear the “Click” sound in the lock, which signifies opening the lock.
Open Sentry Safe Using a Drill or Cutting Tool:
This method will destroy the lock, and you have to replace it afterward, so be sure you want to pick the lock this way:
- Take a drill machine and attach it to a power outlet for starting the drill open into the lock of the safe.
- Ensure you’re drilling directly into the lock instead of the safe body, or you may end up ruining the safe entirely.
- If you can drill through the lock, the lock will break open, and you can replace it later.
- However, contact the manufacturer if it’s possible to replace the broken lock with a new one.
Open Sentry Safe With a Nail Cutter:
To open the lock using a nail cutter, you need a nail cutter with a nail file. If you have one of these nail cutters, follow this process:
- Take the nail cutter and open up the nail file straight, hold it like you’re holding on to a key.
- Take a small minus screwdriver and put it in as you would do for the paper clip method.
- You can also skip the screwdriver if the nail file does the job alone; in that case, put it inside the lock.
- Juggle the file a little and try to rotate it clockwise; try a few times more if it denies rotating.
- Keep on juggling and rotating the file until you hear a click sound, which means the lock is open.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most frequently asked questions about sentry safes, about their locking and unlocking system that you should know about:
Can a locksmith open a Sentry safe?
Yes, trained locksmiths can easily open up a sentry safe with the proper tools they have.
How long does a sentry safe lockout?
A battery-powered sentry safe lockout will last for five minutes, don’t push the button till then.
Can you get a replacement key for a Sentry Safe?
Yes, you can make a new replacement set of keys for your Sentry safe from third party suppliers.
Generally, the sentry safes are super rigid and secure enough to keep it safe from any impact or fire. An example of the sturdiness of a good sentry safe is, fire cannot penetrate it for 2 hours. The reliability of the manufacturer depends on how rigid the safe they are making. However, losing the key to the safe or forgetting the combination is a regular phenomenon that could happen with you.
Knowing how to open a sentry safe without a key will help you open it up in emergency cases. Using these methods I’ve mentioned in this article will not damage the lock mechanism. You can use the safe with its regular keys when you find them or remember the combination afterward.